Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Homemade Microwave Popcorn

When my "cheap, $14.00" popcorn air popper went on the fritz, I started shopping around for a new one. To get a good one, it looked like I would be spending around $ 29.00. Wasn't thrilled about that. Yesterday, I was talking to one of my Vendors at work, who is on weight watchers, about the healthy snacks we enjoy. I mentioned the air popper situation. She is the one who heard about this and gave me the idea. I googled it and came-up with this simple recipe. I tried it last night, and it turned out wonderful. Saves me money on microwave popcorn for the kids and is still a healthy snack for myself (without having to spend the money on a new air popper). Enjoy!

1/4 Cup Orvile Redenbacher's Gourmet Popping Corn (or similar)
1 Tsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or less/depends on the natural oils in your popping corn)
1 Brown Paper Lunch Sack
1 Piece of Scotch Tape

What to do:
* I put the corn & olive oil (you really don't need much) into a bowl and stir to coat the corn
* Place into the paper lunch sack
* Folder over twice (small folds)
* Tape shut with a strip of tape
* Place in microwave and enter approximately 3 1/2 minutes (times may be more or less based your microwave - you basically proceed as you would with regular microwave popcorn - listen for the popcorn to stop popping so you don't burn it)
* When done, pour into your bowl (add your popcorn salt & butter if you must) and enjoy

Provided by Tamra Gillen