Monday, August 30, 2010

Taco Meatballs


THESE ARE FABULOUS!!!! I've been making them & bringing to work for my lunches. I think the dipping sauce is cool, refreshing & delicious. Quick & easy to make and the best part is they are healthy for you. It's an easy protein to grab & go.

Ingredients
•1 lb lean ground turkey
•1 can black beans
•1 taco seasoning packet-check label to ensure its clean (I make my own - search for Taco Seasoning recipe here on my blog)
•1 large onion, finely diced
•1/4 cup cornmeal
•2 slices eziekiel bread
•1 cup cultured coconut milk (a.k.a. coconut yogurt - I use the brand SO Delicious)
•the juice of 1 lime
•1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
•sea salt to taste

Instructions
For meatballs:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drain and rinse beans. Take 2/3 of beans and run through a mini food processor or mash with fork. Add mashed/processed beans to large bowl. Add turkey, seasoning packet, onion, and cornmeal. In a small bowl, soak bread in water, drain, and crumble bread into bowl with other ingredients. Add the remaining beans. Mix well. Form into golf ball sized meatballs and place on oil sprayed pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes.

For sauce:
Combine the coconut yogurt, lime juice and cilantro and mix well.

Yield: Approximately 40 meatballs.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30-35 minutes