Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Slow Cooker Barbecued Chicken


A while back, I told you about a new slow cooker cookbook I found that was designed to cook "healthy" meals in your slow cooker. I've only been able to make one of the meals so far and it was fabulous. My entire family loved it.

It didn't look like it would work or even taste great when I threw it all together in the morning (which didn't take much time), but it was delicious in the end and I felt good that I was serving a healthy meal to my family. Here's the recipe.....

Ingredients:
8 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (this is healthiest, but you can use thighs)
8-oz. can low-sodium tomato sauce
8-oz. water
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. prepared mustard
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 tsp. black pepper
dash of garlic powder
dash of dried oregano
3 Tbsp. onion, chopped

What to do:
1. Spray the slow cooker with non-fat cooking spray and then add the chicken. Overlap the chicken as little as possible.
2. Combine remaining ingredients. Pour over chicken
3. Cover. Cook on low 6-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours.
4. To thicken the sauce a bit, remove the lid during the last hour of cooking.

Serves 8