Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Light Alfredo Sauce


It's been so long since I've made Fettuccini Alfredo w/ Shrimp. My whole family just loves it, but it's just another thing we shouldn't be eating. With some family health issues brewing and also trying to serve more "Eat Clean" meals to my family, I decided to search the internet for a healthier version of the alfredo sauce and here's what I've found. It got great reviews, so I'm going to give it a try myself.

Sauce Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups skim milk
1 cup chicken broth
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour (I wonder how whole wheat flour would work?)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I will try low-fat Parmesan)
Whole Wheat Fettuccini
Tiny Schrimp (or other seafood of choice)

Optional Ingredients: Sprinkle of Nutmeg or other seasonings to taste

Directions:
* In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until golden brown.

* In a small saucepan, stir together milk, chicken broth, flour, salt and pepper over low heat until smooth and thick. Stir into garlic. Continue to cook over medium low heat, stirring frequently, until the sauce is thick. Stir in Parmesan cheese.

Number of Servings: 8